Houshang Pourshariati Iranian Studies Book Award Nomination Guidelines
Deadline April 1, 2018
The Middle East Studies Association invites nominations for the 2018 Houshang Pourshariati Iranian Studies Book Award. Nominations can be made by either the publisher or the author. Although there is no limit to the number of titles that authors or publishers may submit, we ask that they exercise discretion in the selection of books nominated. Below is a list of criteria that should be met:
- Nominations for the Houshang Pourshariati Iranian Studies Book Award can be made by either the publisher or the author.
- Books must be non-fiction scholarly monographs based on original research published in English* between April 1, 2016, and March 31, 2018. Authors need not be members of MESA. *Works translated from other languages into English will also be considered, but will be judged by the same rigorous standards as those for works originally in English.
- Subject matter must deal with Iran and the work must seek to advance knowledge and scholarship on Iranian society, culture, and history from ancient times to the present and as addressed by the fields of literature, philosophy, social studies, art, science, and other disciplines. The purview of these works should be clearly that of an Iranist. The works considered should demonstrate substantive understanding of the social and political experiences of the Iranian people and their civilization and their contribution to and influences on the world at large.
- Works not eligible include edited collections and compilations, proceedings of symposia, new editions of previously published books, bibliographies, dictionaries, and textbooks.
The author of the winning book will receive $2000 and a certificate of award. Honorable mentions also receive a certificate of award. Winners will be announced at the Awards Ceremony at the 52nd MESA Annual Meeting in San Antonio, TX held November 15-18, 2018. As well, the results will be posted on MESA’s website and in Issues in Middle East Studies, the Association’s newsletter.
To nominate a book
1. Submit a letter of nomination (by April 1) and send one copy of the book (by April 10) to the Awards Coordinator at the MESA Secretariat. In the letter, for each book nominated, please include the full title, author’s full name, publisher, and publication date.
Sara L. Palmer, Book Awards Coordinator
2018 Houshang Pourshariati Book Award Competition
Middle East Studies Association
3542 N Geronimo Ave
Tucson, Arizona 85705
520-333-2577 x 103 (phone)
2. Send one copy of the book to each of the following readers on the Committee. Books must reach the readers by April 10, 2018.
Carl W. Ernst
Carolina Center for the Study of the Middle East & Muslim Civilizations
University of North Carolina
3025 Global Education Center, 301 Pittsboro St
Chapel Hill NC 27599-2759
(for courier: 919-962-3924)
Department of History
Virginia Military Institute
Lexington VA 24450
(for courier: 540-464-7085)
Department of Political Science, 10-25 Tory Building
University of Alberta
Edmonton AB T6G 2H4
(for courier: 780-492-0736)