The Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures at North Carolina State University seeks to hire an Assistant Professor who specializes in the interconnected fields of Arabic Language, Literature, and Culture beginning August, 2019. In addition to research, the position requires the teaching of 2 courses in Arabic language and cultural studies each semester. Candidates with a demonstrated background in Levantine dialect(s) are especially encouraged to apply.
The successful candidate should maintain a record of teaching, service and research in line with the university strategic plan, carrying out globally engaged interdisciplinary scholarship to address the grand challenges of society and strengthening strategic partnerships through cooperation with interdisciplinary programs throughout the Middle East. The University’s Moise Khayrallah Center for Lebanese Diaspora Studies provides additional opportunities for important faculty collaboration.
- Applicants must hold a PhD in Arabic language study or related field at time of employment (on or before 8/16/2019).
- Native or near-native fluency in both Arabic and English are required.
Departmental Required Skills
- Demonstrated teaching experience in beginning through advanced Modern Standard Arabic (MSA).
- Ability to teach courses at the intermediate and advanced including, but not limited to Arabic literature, media, cultural studies, or linguistics.
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
- Demonstrated ability to teach advanced level courses in Arabic, including, but not limited to Arabic literature, media, cultural studies, and/or linguistics.
- Ability to teach a senior capstone seminar for FLL-Arabic majors.
Please attach a cover letter, CV, and a separate document containing contact information for references as part of your online application. Any questions about the position should be directed to Dr. Nathaniel Isaacson, firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin on October 31, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled.
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Only applications completed on the NC State HR Job Site will be considered.