Professor, Associate Professor or Assistant Professor – Humanitarian and/or Development Studies
1. Job Objective
The Emirates Diplomatic Academy (EDA) is planning to introduce a new Master’s in Humanitarian Action and Development. This MA is designed to develop the next generation of leaders in the humanitarian and development fields and will primarily comprise students from relevant sectors in the UAE as well as some from overseas. The MA has been developed with the support of the UAE’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation (MOFAIC) and builds on the various efforts to build capacity in the sector, given the leading role that the UAE plays as a donor of humanitarian and development assistance.
2. Job Requirements
Education and Relevant Experience
- Candidates must have a PhD in a relevant field from a respected academic institution.
- Candidates will ideally have substantial direct or indirect experience of practical professional work in the humanitarian or development sectors.
- For Professor: candidates must have at least 10-15 years of teaching experience in a university and hold the position of Professor.
- For Associate Professor: candidates must have at least 5 to 9 years of teaching experience in a university and hold the position of Associate Professor.
- For Assistant Professor: candidates must have at least 0 to 5 year’s teaching experience in a university or research led organization.
- A passionate commitment to the goals of humanitarian relief and/or development, and a strong desire to strengthen the capacity of professionals working in these sectors.
- A proven record of strong performance in teaching at the university level.
- Substantial proven expertise in a relevant subject matter.
- An ability to teach both the academic understanding of the subject matter as well as to train students to apply this understanding in a professional context.
- Willingness and ability to use e-learning tools as part of pedagogical approach
- A proven record of publishing research, including policy-oriented research.
- Demonstrated management and administrative skills.
- Excellent spoken and written English. Fluency in written and spoken Arabic is highly desirable.
- Professional appearance and presentation skills, as well as the ability to act as a role model for the EDA’s students.
- Ability to engage effectively with government officials.
- Energetic, hard-working individual, with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Strong team player, with a keen interest in collaborating to ensure the success of the EDA.
- Flexibility, and willingness to adapt to evolving needs and priorities.
- Ability to work in an environment dealing with sensitive information.
- An affinity with the foreign policy goals of the UAE.
Start date: Candidates should be available to start by Summer 2020 at the latest.
3. Application process
Candidates should send the following documents to email@example.com, copying firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Statement of interest (brief)
- Copy of recent course evaluations
- Sample of publications