The Middle East Studies Association is seeking a part-time Washington, DC-based Program Manager to implement MESA’s Global Academy, a new interdisciplinary initiative to sustain essential research collaborations and knowledge production between MENA-based scholars and their counterparts outside the region. This program awards competitive fellowships to displaced scholars from the MENA region to attend meetings, workshops and conferences, and supports research activities through a range of university partnerships. The MESA Global Academy draws upon the strengths of MESA’s institutional and individual members to support the careers of individual researchers of the Middle East and North Africa whose career trajectories has been adversely affected by developments in their home countries.
The Program Manager is key to developing the infrastructure of this new initiative and in administering the day-to-day activities of the Academy. The Program Manager works closely with a committee that includes MESA leadership, and reports to the Executive Director of the Middle East Studies Association.
Primary duties include budget and project management in addition to strategic planning, event planning/facilitation, and grant writing/reporting. The ideal candidate would have an independent and resourceful work ethic, proven project/program management skills, and 5+ years of experience in a higher education-related or parallel field. Candidates must have a growth-oriented attitude; development experience is a plus. Academic Middle East Studies training or International Studies specialization is desired, although not required.
This professional part-time position (20 hours per week) is based at the Middle East Studies Association Headquarters in Washington, DC at the George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Studies. The position is currently funded through at least October 30, 2021 at half FTE. It is a grant-supported position that could potentially be extended past that date and become full-time prior, subject to further fundraising. The position has a competitive benefits package administered via the Research Foundation of the City University of New York: https://www.rfcuny.org/RFWebsite/employees/explore-enroll-in-employee-benefits/
Program Manager Responsibilities
- Oversee the design, development, and launch of a new MESA Global Academy Website (with an external vendor)
- Manage MESA Global Academy Budget and oversee payments
- Liaise among MESA Secretariat, university partners, and with MESA Global Academy committee members
- Oversee communications with MESA Global Academy Fellows
- Grant writing and reporting duties as assigned
- Plan and execute in-person MESA Global Academy events at MESA annual meetings and assist with/attend events at university partner locations supported by the Academy
- Contribute to strategic planning for the MESA Global Academy Initiative
- Other tasks as assigned by the Executive Director and as advised by the GA committee
Program Manager Requirements
- Bachelor degree required. (Graduate degree in Middle Eastern Studies or similar field preferred.)
- Proven experience in program and budget management.
- Proven external communications (stakeholders) skills.
- Proven grant writing and reporting skills; experience with development a plus
- Experience using computers for a variety of tasks.
- Competency in Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
Salary range for this half-time position is $28-$38/hour, annualized to roughly 30-40K; compensation will be commensurate with experience.
To apply, please send a letter of application, a CV or resume, and the names of three references (with contact information) to GAmanager@mesana.org. A single, combined PDF file is appreciated. Review of applications by the search committee will begin in February and continue until the position is filled. MESA is an equal-opportunity employer.