The Department of Asian and Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities invites applications for a full-time instructor of Arabic for the 2020-21 academic year, 8/31/20-5/30/21. The position is annually renewable. Fall 2020 instruction will be online.
Teaching Specialist (Job Code 9754)
Required qualifications for appointment to rank:
- Skill in the language of instruction as appropriate for the position; in the case of modern languages, native or near-native fluency. Minimum 2 years university-level teaching experience in the Arabic language in the U.S. Demonstrated ability to lead communicative, student-centered classrooms.
- Positive evaluations from students, peers, and/or supervisors.
- Demonstration of commitment to quality teaching and program development.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Strong English language communication skills. Collegiality and ability to work in a team.
- M.A. or foreign equivalent or ABD in Arabic or related field, including but not limited to Arabic linguistics, Teaching Arabic as a Foreign Language, or Education. Candidates with a Ph.D. will appointed as a Lecturer.
Experience teaching intensive language courses; ability to teach vernacular Arabic courses in addition to Modern Standard Arabic; demonstrated commitment to materials and course development, innovative teaching methods, integration of culture into the curriculum, and mentoring students.
- Teach undergraduate courses as needed, conditional on qualifications.
- Provide administrative support relating to teaching duties and course responsibilities, when appropriate to the appointment.
- Assist with test development and/or administration as needed.
- Coordinate and mentor Teaching Assistants, P&A academic staff and College in the Schools (CIS) instructors, when appropriate to the appointment. This responsibility may include presenting workshops as needed for course coordination.
- Serve as member of appropriate departmental and university committees if called upon to do so.
- Engage in professional development activities.
- Positive evaluations from students, Teaching Assistants (if appropriate), peers, and supervisors.
- Demonstration of commitment to quality teaching, program development, and professional development.
- Effective handling of student inquiries.
Applicants must submit the following materials on the UMN employment website for job ID#336796:
- cover letter
- CV with names and contact information of three individuals prepared to write letters of recommendation
- statement of teaching philosophy
- teaching materials such as syllabi, sample class materials, teaching evaluations, or other materials
Applicants may be asked to submit a video-recorded teaching demonstration.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications due: August 3, 2020.
For more information about the Arabic Program in the Department of Asian and Middle Eastern Studies please visit https://www.cla.umn.edu/arabic