Al-Bustan Seeds of Culture, a Philadelphia-based non-profit organization, is seeking new leadership as its Founding Director will transition from her role by the end of 2020.
Rooted in Arab arts and language, Al-Bustan Seeds of Culture offers artistic and educational programming that enriches cross-cultural understanding and celebrates diversity. “Al-Bustan,” Arabic for “The Garden,” is a non-profit 501(c)(3) that serves youth and adults of all ethnic, religious, and socio-economic backgrounds, while supporting the pursuit and affirmation of Arab American cultural identity and playing a constructive civic role within broader American society.
In December 2019 Al-Bustan moved to a storefront location at 3645 Lancaster Avenue in West Philadelphia. This new administrative and programming hub enabled us to cultivate relationships with neighboring residents and business owners of Powelton and Mantua. We envision creating a welcoming cultural place for all by partnering with cultural, social service, and other neighborhood organizations. As the pandemic forced the closing of our hub since mid-March, our team has been working remotely and pursuing alternative means of implementing programs and engaging with community members outdoors and online, until it is deemed safe to re-open our hub.
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and is responsible for the organization’s administration and implementation of its strategic direction, as well as managing its staff and programs. Other key responsibilities include fundraising and oversight of marketing and community outreach.
Description of Responsibilities here:
Professional Qualifications Required:
- Fluency in speaking, reading, writing Arabic
- 7 to 10 years of senior non-profit management experience
- Demonstrated transparent and high integrity leadership
- Excellent writing, public speaking, and interpersonal communication skills
- Deep knowledge of Arab culture, arts, and history
- Financial management skills in budget preparation, analysis, decision-making, and reporting
- Strong organizational skills in planning, program development, staff/volunteers/board motivation
- Experienced in fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to non-profit sector
- Ability to convey a vision of Al-Bustan’s strategic future to staff, board, volunteers, and donors
Professional Qualifications Preferred:
- Experience in living or traveling in the Arab region
- Advanced degree in Arts Administration, Education, Social Services, or related fields
- Familiarity with Philadelphia’s arts and culture sector
Preferred Start Date: October 1, 2020
Qualified candidates can submit cover letter, resume, and 3 references to Board of Directors via email: AlBustanBoard@gmail.com