The Crown Center for Middle East Studies at Brandeis University invites applications for the position of Assistant Director for Research. This is a full-time position and will begin on August 1, 2021. The Assistant Director for Research will be a core member of the Crown Center’s senior staff and will work under the supervision of the Director for Research to set and implement the center’s research agenda and manage its publications, primarily the Middle East Briefs and Crown Conversations.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Managing Editor of Crown Publications: The successful candidate will be responsible for the successful and timely management of the Crown Center’s publications, which consists of a minimum of 8 Middle East Briefs and 4 Crown Conversations per year. Responsibilities include selection and solicitation of authors, working with authors to shape and hone their arguments, content editing, and acting as liaison with the production team, primarily the Program Coordinator and Copy Editor, in consultation with the Director for Research.
- A member of the search committees for the Junior Research Fellowship and Faculty Leave Fellowship, and graduate and undergraduate travel/research award.
- Mentoring and coordinating with Crown Center fellows including, but not limited to, the fellows’ participation in the annual scholars workshop, annual board retreat, and crafting and shaping their Middle East Briefs and Crown Conversations.
- Assistance to the Director for Research in the shaping and implementing the center’s research agenda, including 7-9 research seminars and workshops, conferences, 2 retreats, funding proposals, networking, and recruitment of fellows and researchers.
- Conducting original research on the modern Middle East and maintaining an active scholarly profile (defined broadly).
- A PhD in any field of modern Middle East Studies
- At least 1-3 years of demonstrated academic & research experience in Middle East studies
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Excellent editing skills.
- Superior organizational skills and an ability to manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously and in a timely manner.
- Reading knowledge of Turkish, Arabic, or Persian is preferred.
For full consideration, please submit the following materials:
- Cover letter and C.V.
- An unpublished writing sample of no more than 25 pages (this could include dissertation/book manuscript chapters, articles, opinion pieces)
- Two names and emails of references
Link to apply: https://brandeis.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Jobs/job/Brandeis---Waltham-Campus/Assistant-Director-for-Research--Crown-Center-for-Middle-East-Studies_R0004272-1
Applications will be considered starting on June 10, 2021, and the position will be open until it is filled.
Brandeis University is committed to providing its students, faculty and staff with an environment conducive to learning and working and where all people are treated with respect and dignity. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, ethnicity, caste, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, including transgender identity, religion, disability, age, genetics, active military or veteran status and any other characteristics protected under applicable federal or Massachusetts law.