Northwestern University in Qatar is seeking an experienced, collaborative, and faculty-oriented leader and distinguished scholar for the newly created full-time position of Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs.
The Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs is a member of Northwestern Qatar’s senior leadership team and has overall responsibility for matters affecting faculty roles, such as recruitment, mentoring and professional development, retention, and promotion. Duties include supervising hiring, overseeing orientation of new faculty members, mentoring and supporting junior faculty members in securing promotion, providing overall support to faculty, coordinating professional development activities for faculty, ensuring equity in faculty compensation and support, handling faculty personnel actions, and overall mentorship. The role also provides leadership in developing a new plan for systematizing contracts and procedures for Northwestern Qatar faculty, most of whom are Non-Tenure Eligible. The Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs reports to the Senior Associate Dean and Chief Academic Officer, with a dotted line to the Dean and Chief Executive Officer. The position is also our direct liaison to the Northwestern University Associate Provost for Faculty.
This is a senior faculty position. Candidates must have a distinguished record of scholarly and/or creative accomplishments that makes them eligible for appointment to a senior faculty position in Communication, Journalism, or Liberal Arts. Research program should be global, transnational, or comparative and should include the Arab World, Africa, Asia, or Latin America. Candidates are encouraged to continue pursuing their research program.
- Work collaboratively with the Dean and Chief Executive Officer, the Senior Associate Dean and Chief Academic Officer, the Chief Operations Officer, and other Northwestern Qatar leaders to improve faculty life and performance, the learning environment, and the overall climate.
- Develop a coordinated vision and strategy for faculty recruitment, mentoring, retention and promotion and oversee all faculty personnel actions.
- Serve as the primary contact for faculty.
- Foster the continual improvement and management of faculty roles at Northwestern Qatar.
- Help foster a vibrant academic life at Northwestern Qatar.
- Oversee relevant aspects of faculty exchanges.
- Serve as the liaison to the Northwestern University Associate Provost for Faculty.
- Evidence of successful leadership in the recruitment and mentoring of faculty.
- Leadership experience with global, U.S.-style educational institutions, particularly but not exclusively in the Arab world.
- Distinguished record of scholarship appropriate for a senior faculty appointment.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and commitment to collaboration, with the ability to
- inspire and motivate faculty.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and complete long-range strategic goals and priorities,
- with excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to make sound decisions using good judgment and creative problem-solving.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- Ability to be proactive, take ownership of assigned responsibilities, work with little
- supervision and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of Arabic or other relevant languages and experience with global education desirable.
Applications received by August 15, 2021, will receive the highest priority. Search will continue until position is filled or search is closed.
Application URL: https://facultyrecruiting.northwestern.edu/apply/MTA5Nw==
Northwestern University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.