About this Opportunity:
Visiting Fellowship (Consultancy) Period: September 2021 to May 2022
The Bourse & Bazaar Foundation is offering two visiting fellowship positions intended to provide early career analysts and scholars an opportunity to engage in flexible, compensated policy research and advocacy alongside existing professional or academic obligations. Visiting fellows will enjoy significant independence and freedom to define their own research agenda so long as the proposed area of research and advocacy fits within the foundation’s three areas of focus—economic diplomacy, economic development, and economic justice—and seeks to engage with these issues within the Middle East and Central Asia.
The visiting fellowship is intended to be flexible so that it can be undertaken alongside employment or academic study, which does not need to be related to the subject of the planned research in any way. It will be incumbent on the visiting fellow to define a workplan for the nine-month period for approval and to balance obligations in order to stick to that workplan. At a minimum, the work plan must include the following:
- Submission of at least 4 “Insights” analytical pieces of approximately 1200 words in length. These articles often help elucidate issues that are in the headlines.
- Participation as a speaker in at least 1 public webinar which will be related to the course of research. The visiting fellow will help plan the webinar, including by identifying topics for discussion and relevant guest speakers.
- Publication of 1 major report of approximate 6,000-7,000 words that is a deep-dive into the selected research area OR production of a multimedia output (such as a video or interactive webpage) that creatively expresses the research findings or advocacy messages.
- Visiting fellows must be willing to collaborate with other analysts and scholars from other institutions as opportunities arise and to engage with media as a subject-matter expert, in both cases representing the Bourse & Bazaar Foundation.
The visiting fellows will be compensated on the basis of a consultancy contract with the Bourse & Bazaar Foundation. The compensation will be provided in 9 monthly instalments of $1,000.
Applications are open to individuals who have received a masters or doctoral degree in an area of the social sciences and humanities relevant to the understanding of political and economic issues in the Middle East and Central Asia. Ideal applicants will have demonstrable experience in analytical writing and policy research—work experience in a research institute or think tank is a bonus.
How to Apply:
Applications will be accepted through Friday July 30.
Applicants are expected to submit a 500-word research proposal outlining the research project they wish to undertake. In addition to the research proposal, applicants must provide:
- Their CV
- Two writing samples—ideally one long form sample (such as a research paper) and one short form sample (such as an analytical article)
- A selected number of applicants will be invited to discuss their research proposal in a Zoom interview.
Applications can be emailed to Mehran Haghirian at email@example.com.
For more information, please visit: https://www.bourseandbazaar.com/opportunities/2021/7/8/bourse-amp-bazaar-foundation-visiting-fellowship