ACADEMIC COORDINATOR, ARABIC LANGUAGE PROGRAMS
Reports to: ALIF Director
Location: Fes, Morocco
The Arabic Language Institute in Fez (ALIF) is a globally-oriented educational center that aims to educate and engage students from around the world in Arabic, North African culture, cross-cultural communication, research, and community service.
The ALIF Academic Coordinator is responsible for academic oversight of various functions related to teaching/university relations to ensure fulfillment of the ALIF mission. There is also the possibility of teaching two courses per year.
International travel required: Once per year to Middle East Studies Association (MESA) meeting or British Society for Middle Eastern Studies (BRISMES) conference, and other opportunities as they arise.
- MA degree in appropriate field (Middle Eastern Studies, Arabic, Linguistics, International Education, etc)
- Five or more years of experience working with Arabic language programs, including teaching, administrative work, and program coordination (or related experience)
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Team-oriented approach to work
- Native or near native proficiency in Arabic (MSA and Darija)
- Native or near native proficiency in English
- Previous Arabic language administrative experience in an academic environment in the US or Europe
- PhD, or other relevant terminal degree in appropriate field
- Supervisory experience
- Significant intercultural experience living abroad
- Experience teaching and administering online language courses
- In-depth knowledge of the key issues and developments in the education abroad field, particularly as they pertain to teaching Arabic as a foreign language
- Oversee all aspects of the delivery of Arabic language courses, both MSA and CMA, for education abroad programs at ALIF,
- Review current syllabi and develop new ones for new courses as needed, ensuring that all course syllabi have clear learning outcomes,
- Chair ALIF Testing & Curriculum Committee (preparation of high-quality teaching materials, quizzes and exams), help integrate ideas into curriculum and teaching materials,
- Arrange for and head up evaluation of Arabic instructors through classroom observation and student evaluations,
- Organize professional development trainings for instructors, as well as opportunities to attend TAFL conferences both in Morocco and abroad,
- Help develop and implement the online pre-arrival oral and written Arabic assessment for students, placing all students into appropriate classes/levels prior to the start of each term.
- With ALIF Administrative Coordinator, enhance and manage a language partner program with Moroccan ALC students as language partners. Train language partners as needed,
- In conjunction with ALIF Administrative Coordinator arrange academic excursions, intercultural learning activities, cultural programs, and language partner activities. Applied use of the target language is required in all co- and extra-curricular opportunities,
- Work with Arabic instructors prior to above activities to ensure that themes and vocabulary related to those activities are integrated in appropriate ways into student lessons.
>>For full job description and application instructions, please visit: http://www.alif-fes.com/jobs.html<<
Application deadline: October 29, 2021. Review of applications begins immediately thereafter.
Anticipated start date: January 2022.