Middle East Initiative Research Fellowship Program
Applications due December 1, 2021
Learn more and apply: https://www.belfercenter.org/fellowship/middle-east-initiative
The Middle East Initiative Research Fellowship Program at Harvard Kennedy School offers one-year fellowships for researchers at the pre-doctoral, post-doctoral, and junior faculty level for research related to Middle Eastern governance and public policy. Eligible candidates include advanced doctoral candidates, recent recipients of a Ph.D. or equivalent degree, and untenured faculty members. We welcome applications from political scientists, historians, economists, sociologists, and other social scientists. We also encourage applications from women, minorities, and citizens of all countries.
Priority will be given to applications pursuing one of these six primary areas of focus:
- Improving Governance: Promoting the inclusivity, accountability, responsiveness, and efficiency of governing institutions and empowering the region's citizens.
- Building Peace: Addressing the sources of domestic and interstate conflict and generating durable political settlements.
- Revitalizing the State: Improving the capacity of state institutions and reforming social service delivery systems, with a special emphasis on health, education, and social protection.
- Broadening Financial and Labor Markets: Working to ensure that financial and labor markets in the Middle East are open, competitive, and inclusive.
- Governing Technology: Assessing how governments in the Middle East adapt to and integrate technological changes such as the growth of cyberspace, automation, and artificial intelligence, as well as how these advances in technology have shaped governance.
- Adapting to Environmental Challenges: Exploring how the governments of the region can cope and are coping with the challenges of water scarcity and climate change.
Fellows are expected to:
- Complete a 25-30 page Working Paper to be published by the Middle East Initiative
- Present their research at internal and external seminars
- Attend seminars of other Middle East Initiative research fellows
- Participate in Middle East Initiative activities as appropriate
- Be physically present at Harvard for the duration of the two-semester fellowship
Note: Pre-doctoral research fellows are expected to complete their doctoral dissertations while in residence. Postdoctoral or faculty fellows may use this fellowship to complete a book or develop other research projects.
The Middle East Initiative offers ten-month stipends of $40,000 to pre-doctoral fellows and $58,000 to postdoctoral fellows. Pre-doctoral fellows are not benefits eligible. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply for other sources of funding. All applicants should clearly indicate on their application form whether they are seeking full or partial funding and indicate other potential funding sources. Non-stipendiary appointments are also offered, but the application process remains the same.
Please contact Mary Fulham (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions.