The Arab Center for Research and Policy Studies and the Institute for Palestine Studies are announcing the second round of the Annual Palestine Forum in Doha, Qatar, from 27 to 29 January 2024. The call for papers is open to researchers, scholars, PhD candidates from all over the world.
This conference will create an interactive academic space to present new and innovative approaches and to exchange views and ideas related to the study of Palestine. It is an opportunity for researchers who are already working on papers to present and discuss their work, and to learn about and benefit from new research trends in Palestine Studies.
Moreover, the Forum invites researchers and those interested in studies on Palestine but who do not wish to submit research papers to benefit from the presentations and discussions by registering to attend. Registration without submitting a research paper will open in September 2023.
The Palestine Forum does not have a specific annual theme, nor will researchers be assigned papers to write. The Arab Center and the Institute for Palestine Studies invite researchers interested in the Palestinian cause, including junior scholars and recent PhDs, to submit their papers on topics related to Palestine, such as:
- The apartheid regime
- Research offering policy recommendations or related to policymaking
- Palestine in education curricula
- The future of the Palestinian national project
- The Palestinian political system (e.g., the Palestinian Authority, internal divisions, and state under occupation)
- The Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO) – past, present, and future
- Systems of colonial surveillance and population control
- Israel’s withholding of Palestinian martyrs’ bodies
- Higher education in Palestine
- Effects of the siege on Gaza
- Refugees and migration
- Solidarity movements
- Prisons and the Palestinian prisoners’ movement
- Policy and strategy analysis (local, regional, and international)
- Patterns of Palestinian resistance
- Nakba and memory
- Trends in the historiography of Palestine and the Palestinian people
- The Palestinian community on both sides of the Green Line and in the diaspora
- Zionism, society, and state in Israel
- Gender studies
- Political economy and development studies
- Human rights and legal studies
- Security and military studies and wartime economy
- Demography and population
- Studies of space and place
- Transformations in Palestinian society
- The youth in Palestine and current political society
- Palestinians in the diaspora: status, identity and role
- Protest movements in Palestine
Please note that this is not an exhaustive list, and the organizing committee is open to receiving studies on other related topics.
* Participation procedures *
- Once submitted papers have been reviewed and selected by the organizing committee, they will undergo a peer review process. Afterward, papers will be assigned to specific conference sessions according to topic.
- The organizing committee will accept research proposals (maximum 500 words) submitted in Arabic or English, accompanied by the author’s up-to-date academic CV, no later than 15 May 2023. Proposals should include the research problem and hypotheses, methodology and theoretical frameworks used, and a description of the paper’s contribution to its field in terms of approach or conclusion. Research proposals should be submitted through the online form.
- If the paper is already complete, it may be submitted with a CV and a 300-word abstract in place of a proposal for peer review.
- Participants will be notified if their proposals have been selected, which may be subject to revision. Unsuccessful submissions will also be notified.
- Research proposals selected by the Conference Committee should be followed up with a full paper (6000-9000 words) for peer review no later than 1 September 2023.
- A specialized committee will review the research and inform the researcher of the paper’s final status and any revision requests. The organizing committee reserves the right to withdraw papers that have been deemed unsuitable once they have been received in full and reviewed.
- The conference committee's approval of the research proposal does not automatically guarantee the final paper’s inclusion in the conference.
To submit research proposals, please fill out the online form.
All inquiries should be directed to AnnualPalestineForum@dohainstitute.org.
* Attending the conference without submitting a research paper *
Registration to attend the conference without submission will open in early September.
Conference Date: 27-29 January, 2024
Conference venue: Arab Center for Research and Policy Studies, Doha, Qatar.
Conference languages: Arabic and English.
For any inquiries, please contact AnnualPalestineForum@dohainstitute.org.
All the information on the conference can be found on: https://www.dohainstitute.org/en/Events/palestine-forum-second-round-2024/Pages/index.aspx