The Middle East Studies Association (MESA) is a non-political association that fosters the study of the Middle East, promotes high standards of scholarship and teaching… Read more
- Letter to Secretary Kerry Ahead of His Visit to Turkey
- MESA 2016 Preliminary Program Now Available!
2016 Election - MESA Officers and Board of Directors
- Statement on Threats to Turkish Academic Freedom and Higher Education
MESA resources related to Crisis in Higher Education and Academic Freedom in Turkey
- MESA's new digs!
- MESA Board Statement on Iran Sanctions and Scholarly Activity
- New Requirements for Visa Waiver Program Users
- MESA Member Discussion Forum
Call for Action for Turkish Colleagues
- Full List of Interventions
- 22 August 2016 - Second letter to Emirati authorities protesting the "disappearance" and ill-treatment of Emirati economist Nasser bin Ghaith and insisting that his upcoming trial be fair along with full access to legal defense. (pdf)
- 2 August 2016 - Letter to Secretary of State John Kerry expressing concern about Department of State failure to grant newspaper editor Abdel Bari Atwan a visa to come to the US for a book launch lecture trip. (pdf)
- 5 July 2016 - Letter to Egyptian authorities protesting the travel ban on Mozn Hassan, director of Nazra for Feminist Studies, and the ongoing prosecution of human rights NGOs in Case No 173, commonly known as the “foreign funding case.” (pdf)
- 5 July 2016 - Letter to UC Irvine chancellor regarding the university's response to a student protest on May 18, 2016. (pdf) Response from Chancellor's Office UPDATE (Aug 23, 2016) - UCI dismisses allegations