The Middle East Studies Association (MESA) is a non-political association that fosters the study of the Middle East, promotes high standards of scholarship and teaching… Read more
- Wadad Kadi Travel Fellowship for Doctoral Students
- Proposal to Change Bylaws to be Voted on in 2017
- MESA Board Reaffirms 11/23/15 Statement on Treatment of People of Middle East or Muslim Background
- Statement on Threats to Turkish Academic Freedom and Higher Education
MESA resources related to Crisis in Higher Education and Academic Freedom in Turkey
Call for Action for Turkish Colleagues
- Full List of Interventions
- 12 January 2017 - Letter to Turkish PM concerning November 22, 2016 Emergency Decree 677 removing 242 academics from their university positions and terminating the right to education for students who are incarcerated or held in pre-trial detention. (pdf)
- 12 January 2017 - Letter to Turkish PM concerning January 6th Emergency Decree 679 removing 631 academics from their university positions, including Peace Petition signatories and left-leaning faculty from some of Turkey’s best established universities. (pdf)
- 12 January 2017 - Letter to Turkish PM concerning repression of academic freedom by Ankara University Rector Erkan İbiş and the terminations of Ankara University faculty by emergency decrees. (pdf)
- 4 January 2017 - Letter to Georgetown University President DeGioia and New York University President Hamilton concerning Qatari and UAE research and travel bans on Kristina Bogos. (pdf)
- 4 January 2017 - Letter to Qatari king protesting the denial of a student visa to Kristina Bogos, and to Qatari and Emirati authorities for engaging in blacklisting and forms of harassment of certain scholars. (pdf)
- 21 December 2016 - Letter to PM Yıldırım regarding the arrest and detention of Professor İştar Gözaydın in connection with an anti-terrorism probe against the former faculty of Gediz University (Izmir), which was closed on allegations of ties to the Gülen community (pdf).
- 14 December 2016 - Letter to Turkish PM concerning measures taken against universities, faculty and students allegedly tied to the Gülen movement (pdf).