The Middle East Studies Association (MESA) is a non-political association that fosters the study of the Middle East, promotes high standards of scholarship and teaching… Read more
- Attention MESA Members: Vote on Bylaws Amendment
- MESA's Board issues statement on President's Executive Order limiting the entry of Middle Eastern refugees and immigrants to the US
- Newly-Created Task Force on Civil and Human Rights issues memo on President's Executive Order
- 2017 Nominating Committee Election
- Wadad Kadi Travel Fellowships for Doctoral Students
- Statement on Threats to Turkish Academic Freedom and Higher Education
MESA resources related to Crisis in Higher Education and Academic Freedom in Turkey
Call for Action for Turkish Colleagues
- Full List of Interventions
- 16 February 2017 - Letter to PM Yıldırım regarding excessive police force at Ankara University against peaceful protesters on February 10th in a demonstration organized to protest the dismissal of academics en masse from the university under the leadership of Rector Erkan İbiş (pdf).
- 16 February 2017 - Letter to PM Yıldırım concerning the arrest of anthropologist Ahmet Yükleyen and the criminalization of his 2013-2014 research (pdf).
- 16 February 2017 - Letter to the Iranian authorities vigorously protesting the Islamic Republic of Iran’s longstanding discrimination against Baha’is in higher education. (pdf)
- 8 February 2017 - Letter to Turkish PM Yıldırım regarding the February 7th Emergency Decree (KHK 686) removing 330 academics from their positions at 49 public universities in Turkey. (pdf)
- 6 February 2017 - Letter to the Iranian authorities urging them to release Dr. Ahmadreza Djalali, a permanent resident of Sweden, who has been accused of undermining Iran’s national security and has been sentenced to death. (pdf)