MESA Book Awards Nomination Guidelines
Nominations for all three awards (Albert Hourani Book Award, Nikki Keddie Book Award, Fatema Mernissi Book Award) are made simultaneously, and can be made by either the publisher or the author. Although there is no limit on the number of titles that authors or publishers may subm9t, we ask that they exercise discretion in the selection of books nominated. Below is a list of criteria that should be met:
1. Books must be non-fiction scholarly monographs based on original research published in English between April 1, 2021 and March 31, 2022*. Authors need not be members of MESA.
2. Subject matter must deal with the Middle East. Areas primarily of interest include Iran, Turkey, Afghanistan, Israel, Pakistan, and the countries of the Arab World from the seventh century to modern times. Spain, Southeastern Europe, the Soviet Union and other regions also are included for the periods in which their territories were part of the Middle Eastern empires or were under the influence of Middle Eastern civilization.
3. Works not eligible include edited collections and compilations, proceedings of symposia, new editions of previously published books, bibliographies, dictionaries, textbooks, and surveys.
4. Nominations must be made by April 15, 2022, with books delivered to the readers by April 20, 2022, for books to be eligible for the competition. (Emailed nominations are acceptable)
The author of each of the awards will receive $1000. In the event of co-winners, prize money will be divided evenly among the winners. Honorable mentions also receive a certificate of award. Winners will be announced at the Awards Ceremony at the 56th MESA Annual Meeting in Denver, Coloardo. As well, the results will be posted on MESA’s website and in other publications as deemed appropriate by MESA.
TO NOMINATE A BOOK
Deadline: April 15, 2022 (extended deadline)
1. Submit a letter of nomination and a pdf copy or eBook of the nominated book by April 15, 2022, to Sara Palmer (nominations via email are preferred). Please include the full title, author’s full name, publisher, and publication date.
Sara L. Palmer, Book Awards Coordinator
2022 MESA Book Awards Competition
3542 N Geronimo Avenue
Tucson AZ 85705
2. Send one print copy of the book to each of the five readers on the Book Awards Committee. Books must reach the readers by April 20, 2022.
Department of Anthropology
George Washington University
2110 G Street NW
Washington DC 20052
(for courier 202-994-7728)
3036 Anthony Dr.
Decatur, GA 30033
(for courier 404-509-9543)
Huda J. Fakhreddine
3 University Mews
Philadelphia PA 19104
(for courier: 812-327-3878)
7 Elton Road
Exeter EX3 7AT
(for courier 07535793753)
Joshua M. White
Corcoran Department of History
University of Virginia
PO Box 400180
Charlottesville VA 22904-4180
(for courier 434-924-7147)
Please note that contact information is provided to submit copies of the book. Please direct all questions and correspondence to Sara Palmer and not to committee members.
* If a book has been printed and is available for distribution but has a publication date after March 31, 2022, please contact Sara Palmer.