MESA Book Awards Nomination Guidelines
Nominations for all three awards (Albert Hourani Book Award, Nikki Keddie Book Award, Fatima Mernissi Book Award) are made simultaneously, and can be made by either the publisher or the author. Although there is no limit on the number of titles that authors or publishers may submit, we ask that they exercise discretion in the selection of books nominated. Below is a list of criteria that should be met:
1. Books must be non-fiction scholarly monographs based on original research published in English between April 1, 2018 and March 31, 2019. Authors need not be members of MESA.
2. Subject matter must deal with the Middle East. Areas primarily of interest include Iran, Turkey, Afghanistan, Israel, Pakistan, and the countries of the Arab World from the seventh century to modern times. Spain, Southeastern Europe, the Soviet Union and other regions also are included for the periods in which their territories were part of the Middle Eastern empires or were under the influence of Middle Eastern civilization.
3. Works not eligible include edited collections and compilations, proceedings of symposia, new editions of previously published books, bibliographies, dictionaries, textbooks, and surveys.
4. Nominations must be made by April 1, 2019, with books delivered to the readers by April 10, 2019, for books to be eligible for the competition. (Emailed nominations are acceptable)
The author of the Albert Hourani Book Award will receive $1000. The authors of the Nikki Keddie and Fatima Mernissi Book Awards will receive $500 each. In the event of co-winners, prize money will be divided evenly among the winners. Honorable mentions also receive a certificate of award. Winners will be announced at the Awards Ceremony at the 53rd MESA Annual Meeting in New Orleans, Louisiana. As well, the results will be posted on MESA’s website and in other publications as deemed appropriate by MESA.
TO NOMINATE A BOOK
Deadline: April 1, 2019
1. Submit a letter of nomination and a pdf copy of the book to the Book Awards Coordinator at the MESA Secretariat by April 1, 2019 . In the letter, for each book nominated, please include the full title, author’s full name, publisher, and publication date.
Sara L. Palmer, Book Awards Coordinator
2019 MESA Book Awards Competition
3542 N Geronimo Ave
Tucson, Arizona 85705
2. Send one printed copy of the book to each of the five readers on the Book Awards Committee. Books must reach the readers by April 10, 2019.
Fred M. Donner
The Oriental Institute
The University of Chicago
1155 E. 58th Street
Chicago IL 60637
(for courier purposes: 773-702-9512)
Wilson Chacko Jacob
Department of History
1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd West
Montreal QC H3G 1M8
(for courier purposes: 514–922-6107)
Asian & Middle Eastern Studies
Box 90414, 2204 Erwin Road
Durham NC 27708
(for courier purposes: 917-957-4276)
Political Science Department
One Trinity Place
San Antonio TX 78212
(for courier purposes: 210-736-8341)
Center for Jewish Studies
205 Walker Hall
University of Florida
Gainesville FL 32611
(for courier purposes: 352-273-0129)
If you have questions about the award, email Sara Palmer or phone 520-333-2577 x 103.
Documents & Links
pdf 135 KB