MESA Book Awards Nomination Guidelines
Nominations for all three awards are made simultaneously. This can be made by either the publisher or the author. Although there is no limit on the number of titles that authors or publishers may submit, we ask that they exercise discretion in the selection of books nominated. Below is a list of criteria that should be met:
1. Books must be non-fiction scholarly monographs based on original research published in English between April 1, 2017 and March 31, 2018. Authors need not be members of MESA.
2. Subject matter must deal with the Middle East. Areas primarily of interest include Iran, Turkey, Afghanistan, Israel, Pakistan, and the countries of the Arab World from the seventh century to modern times. Spain, Southeastern Europe, the Soviet Union and other regions also are included for the periods in which their territories were part of the Middle Eastern empires or were under the influence of Middle Eastern civilization.
3. Works not eligible include edited collections and compilations, proceedings of symposia, new editions of previously published books, bibliographies, dictionaries, textbooks, and surveys.
4. Nominations must be made by April 1, 2018, with books delivered to the readers by April 10, 2018, for books to be eligible for the competition. (Emailed nominations are acceptable)
The author of the Albert Hourani Book Award will receive $1000 and a certificate of award. The authors of the Nikki Keddie and Fatima Mernissi Book Awards will receive $500 each. In the event of co-winners, prize money will be divided evenly among the winners. Honorable mentions also receive a certificate of award. Winners will be announced at the Awards Ceremony at the 52nd MESA Annual Meeting in San Antonio, Texas. As well, the results will be posted on MESA’s website and in other publications as deemed appropriate by MESA.
TO NOMINATE A BOOK
Deadline: April 1, 2018 - We are no longer accepting nominations.
1. Submit a letter of nomination (by April 1) and send one copy of the book (by April 10) to the Awards Coordinator at the MESA Secretariat. In the letter, for each book nominated, please include the full title, author’s full name, publisher, and publication date.
Sara L. Palmer, Book Awards Coordinator
2018 MESA Book Awards Competition
Middle East Studies Association
3542 N Geronimo Ave
Tucson, Arizona 85705
520-333-2577 x 103 (phone)
2. Send one copy of the book to each of the following five readers on the Book Awards Committee. Books must reach the readers by April 10, 2018.
Department of Near Eastern Languages & Civilizations
University of Pennsylvania
255 South 36 St.
847 Williams Hall
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6305
(for courier: 215-746-0176)
Department of History
University of Mary Washington
1301 College Ave.
Fredericksburg, VA 22401
(for courier: 540-654-1066)
Dept of Politics and International Studies
Thornhaugh St., Russell Sq
London WC1H 0XG
(for courier: +44-2078-984735)
School of Middle Eastern and North African Studies
University of Arizona
Marshall Bldg #449, 845 N Park Avenue
Tucson AZ 85721-1058
(for courier: 520-626-9696)
Department of History
University of North Texas
1155 Union Circle #310650
Denton, Texas 76203