MESA Book Awards Nomination Guidelines
Nominations for all three awards (Albert Hourani Book Award, Nikki Keddie Book Award, Fatema Mernissi Book Award) are made simultaneously, and can be made by either the publisher or the author. Although there is no limit on the number of titles that authors or publishers may subm9t, we ask that they exercise discretion in the selection of books nominated. Below is a list of criteria that should be met:
1. Books must be non-fiction scholarly monographs based on original research published in English between April 1, 2019 and March 31, 2020*. Authors need not be members of MESA.
2. Subject matter must deal with the Middle East. Areas primarily of interest include Iran, Turkey, Afghanistan, Israel, Pakistan, and the countries of the Arab World from the seventh century to modern times. Spain, Southeastern Europe, the Soviet Union and other regions also are included for the periods in which their territories were part of the Middle Eastern empires or were under the influence of Middle Eastern civilization.
3. Works not eligible include edited collections and compilations, proceedings of symposia, new editions of previously published books, bibliographies, dictionaries, textbooks, and surveys.
4. Nominations must be made by April 1, 2020, with books delivered to the readers by April 10, 2020, for books to be eligible for the competition. (Emailed nominations are acceptable)
The author of each of the awards will receive $1000. In the event of co-winners, prize money will be divided evenly among the winners. Honorable mentions also receive a certificate of award. Winners will be announced at the Awards Ceremony at the 54th MESA Annual Meeting in Washington, DC. As well, the results will be posted on MESA’s website and in other publications as deemed appropriate by MESA.
TO NOMINATE A BOOK
Deadline: April 1, 2020
1. Submit a letter of nomination and an electronic or pdf copy of the book to the Book Awards Coordinator at the MESA Secretariat by April 1, 2020 . In the letter, for each book nominated, please include the full title, author’s full name, publisher, and publication date*.
Sara L. Palmer, Book Awards Coordinator
2020 MESA Book Awards Competition
3542 N Geronimo Avenue
Tucson AZ 85705
2. Send one copy (digital or print noted) of the book to each of the five readers on the Book Awards Committee. Books must reach the readers by April 10, 2020.
Akram Khater, MESA Book Awards Chair (digital preferred; print ok)
101 Lampe Drive
332 Withers Hall, NCSU
Raleigh NC 27695
firstname.lastname@example.org (for providing digital copies of the book only)
(for courier purposes: 919-513-2218)
Jeffrey Byrne (print or digital)
14 Epstein Court
27A Essex Road
London N1 2TP
Jeffrey.Byrne@ubc.ca (for providing digital copies of the book only)
Elizabeth Holt (print)
3542 N. Geronimo Avenue
Tucson AZ 85705
(for courier purposes: 520-333-2577)
Nancy Khalek (digital)
email@example.com (for providing digital copies of the book only)
Zakia Salime (digital)
firstname.lastname@example.org (for providing digital copies of the book only)
Please note that contact information is provided to submit copies of the book and not for personal contact.
If you have questions about the award, email Sara Palmer or phone 520-333-2577 x 103.
* If a book has been printed and is available for distribution but has a publication date after March 31, 2020, please contact Sara Palmer.