MESA Book Awards Nomination Guidelines
Nominations for all three awards (Albert Hourani Book Award, Nikki Keddie Book Award, Fatema Mernissi Book Award) are made simultaneously, and can be made by either the publisher or the author. Although there is no limit on the number of titles that authors or publishers may subm9t, we ask that they exercise discretion in the selection of books nominated. Below is a list of criteria that should be met:
1. Books must be non-fiction scholarly monographs based on original research published in English between April 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021*. Authors need not be members of MESA.
2. Subject matter must deal with the Middle East. Areas primarily of interest include Iran, Turkey, Afghanistan, Israel, Pakistan, and the countries of the Arab World from the seventh century to modern times. Spain, Southeastern Europe, the Soviet Union and other regions also are included for the periods in which their territories were part of the Middle Eastern empires or were under the influence of Middle Eastern civilization.
3. Works not eligible include edited collections and compilations, proceedings of symposia, new editions of previously published books, bibliographies, dictionaries, textbooks, and surveys.
4. Nominations must be made by April 1, 2021, with books delivered to the readers by April 10, 2021, for books to be eligible for the competition. (Emailed nominations are acceptable)
The author of each of the awards will receive $1000. In the event of co-winners, prize money will be divided evenly among the winners. Honorable mentions also receive a certificate of award. Winners will be announced at the Awards Ceremony at the 55th MESA Annual Meeting in Montreal, Canada. As well, the results will be posted on MESA’s website and in other publications as deemed appropriate by MESA.
TO NOMINATE A BOOK
Deadline: April 1, 2021
1. Submit a letter of nomination and a pdf copy or eBook of the nominated book by April 1, 2021, to Sara Palmer (nominations via email are preferred). Please include the full title, author’s full name, publisher, and publication date.
Sara L. Palmer, Book Awards Coordinator
2021 MESA Book Awards Competition
3542 N Geronimo Avenue
Tucson AZ 85705
2. Send one copy (digital or print noted) of the book to each of the five readers on the Book Awards Committee. Books must reach the readers by April 10, 2021.
Fida Adely – print copy
2920 Stanton Ave.
Silver Spring MD 20910
(347-712-0561 for courier)
Terri L. DeYoung – digital copy preferred
University of Washington
Ahmed El Shamsy – print copy
5459 South Dorchester Ave
Chicago IL 60615
(773-952-1910 for courier)
Will Hanley – print copy
Department of History
Florida State University
401 Bellamy Bldg, Box 3062200
Tallahassee FL 32306-2200
(850-912-9143 for courier)
Elora Shehabuddin – print copy
Dept of Transnational Asian Studies
Rice University, MS-42
6100 Main St.
Houston TX 77005
(713-348-2784 for courier)
Please note that contact information is provided to submit copies of the book. Please direct all questions and correspondence to Sara Palmer and not to committee members.
* If a book has been printed and is available for distribution but has a publication date after March 31, 2021, please contact Sara Palmer.