MESA Undergraduate Education Award Nomination Guidelines
MESA members are invited to submit nominations for the 2020 MESA UNDERGRADUATE EDUCATION AWARD, which recognizes outstanding scholarship on teaching or other material contributions to undergraduate education in Middle East Studies. Nominators should explicitly state how the nominee's contributions help educators master the craft of teaching Middle East Studies to undergraduates or adds new dimensions to how Middle East Studies is taught to undergraduates. Examples of such contributions include:
- Pedagogical materials like syllabi or assignments that demonstrate innovation and/or effectiveness in course design or instructional technology.
- Publications aimed at undergraduate educators such as textbooks, source collections, and translations for the lay reader.
- Testimonies from students or former students for whom the nominee has left a lasting impact including pursuing Middle East studies after graduation.
- Publications emphasizing the scholarship of teaching, contributions to pedagogy or undergraduate curriculum development.
- Evidence of service contributions to undergraduate education in Middle East Studies including within MESA itself.
The winner will be announced at the Awards Ceremony at MESA's annual meeting and will also be presented with a certificate and cash award of $250.
2020 Nomination Guidelines
Nominations must be made by current MESA members, who should include the following:
- Completed NOMINATION FORM (see below)
- A letter of nomination that explicitly states the accomplishments of the nominee in the craft of teaching about the Middle East
- Three copies (preferably electronic) of the material (e.g., instructional materials, pedagogical article(s), book(s), syllabi, testimonials)
- CV of the nominee which highlights the contributions to undergraduate teaching
DEADLINE: August 1, 2020
Nominations/inquiries should be sent to: