To: Committee on Academic Freedom
Date: February 23, 2022
Adar I. 22, 5782
Re: Your letter concerning Mr. Ismail Barghouthi and Mr. Mohammed Khatib
We received your enquiry regarding Mr. Ismail Barghouthi and Mr. Mohammed Khatib, and would like to address your concerns, according to information forwarded to us by the relevant authorities.
Mr. Ismail Barghouthi
1. Mr. Barghouthi was arrested on January 10, 2022, near Bir Zeit University. On January 26, 2022, an indictment was filed against him in the Military Court in Judea. The indictment charged Mr. Barghouti with three (3) offenses - holding a position in an unauthorized association and membership in an unauthorized association and taking part in an unlicensed procession.
2. According to the indictment, from the beginning of 2020 until his arrest, Mr. Barghouti acted as a member in a branch of the Hamas terrorist organization that operates within the Bir Zeit University. During this period, Mr. Barghouti held positions on various committees of this branch and participated in processions and assemblies on behalf it.
3. Mr. Barghouti is detained until the end of the legal proceedings against him and his case is still ongoing.
4. Mr. Barghouti is represented by an attorney in all the proceedings against him.
Mr. Mohammed Khatib
5. Mr. Khatib was arrested on January 10, 2022. On January 24, 2022, an indictment was filed against him in the Military Court in Judea. Mr. Khatib was charged of performing a service for an illegal association. According to the indictment, Mr. Khatib participated in various activities on behalf of the 'Kutub' organization at Bir Zeit University, between December 2020 and January 2021.
6. The prosecution did not insist on Khatib's criminal arrest. However, at the same time, on February 1, 2022, the military commander issued an administrative detention order against Mr. Khatib until May 9, 2022. On February 15, 2022, a military court upheld the administrative detention order in a judicial review.
7. As of February 2022, Mr. Khatib is detained under administrative detention, and at the same time a criminal proceeding is being conducted in its case.
8. Mr. Khatib is represented by an attorney in all the proceedings against him.
9. Due to insufficient details, the relevant authorities were unable to locate information regarding the three (3) other persons mentions in your application.
The Public Inquiries Unit
Documents & Links
pdf 199 KB