Roger Owen Book Award Nomination Guidelines
Deadline April 1, 2021
Nominations are invited from publishers and authors for the 2021 Roger Owen Book Award. Below is a list of criteria that should be met:
1. Subject matter must deal with economics, economic history or the political economy of the Middle East and North Africa (Mali to Pakistan) and the work must seek to advance knowledge and scholarship on these areas within the modern period (roughly 1750 to the present). Indeed, the purpose of the award is to encourage work in these fields and areas. The works considered should demonstrate substantive understanding of the historical, social and political implications of economic factors, theoretical sophistication and interpretive elegance.
2. Books must be non-fiction scholarly monographs based on original research published in English* between April 1, 2019, and March 31, 2021.
*Works translated from other languages into English will also be considered but will be judged by the same rigorous standards as those for works submitted in English. Authors need not be members of MESA.
3. Works not eligible include edited collections and compilations, proceedings of symposia, new editions of previously published books, bibliographies, dictionaries, and textbooks.
4. Nominations must be made by April 1, 2021, with books delivered to the readers by April 10, 2021 or books will not be eligible for the competition.
5. The author of the single winning book will receive $2000 and a certificate of award. The 2021 winner will be announced at the Awards Ceremony at the MESA annual meeting in Montreal.
To Nominate a Book (Deadline: April 1, 2021)
Send a letter of nomination (include the full title, author’s full name, publisher, and publication date of the book) and a pdf copy or eBook to Sara Palmer (email@example.com). Nominations need to be made by April 1, 2021.
Sara L. Palmer, Book Awards Coordinator
2021 Roger Owen Award
3542 N. Geronimo Avenue
Tucson, AZ 85705
520-333-2577 ext. 103
In addition, you will need to send one printed copy of the book to each of the three readers on the 2021 Roger Owen Book Award Committee to arrive by April 10, 2021.
Melani C. Cammett
Dept. of Government
1737 Cambridge Street
Cambridge MA 02138
(617-495-2148 for courier delivery)
Hanan H. Hammad
Dept. of History - Reed Hall 308
Texas Christian University
2850 South University Drive
Fort Worth TX 76109
(817-257-7288 for courier delivery)
57 US Highway One
New Brunswick NJ 08901
(848-932-7905 for courier delivery)
This award is made possible by the generous support of donors who wish to honor the scholarship of Roger Owen and encourage wide ranging research incorporating economics and economic factors.